Friday, February 19, 2010

Sleep and Growing Up

So, my little boy has slept in our room pretty much since he was born. He doesn't sleep in bed with us, he sleeps in a pack n play next to my side of the bed. It's been easier because he still nurses at night some of the time, and I don't love the idea of getting out of my cozy bed at night to go down the hall to feed him.

We've been considering moving him to his own room, but weren't sure how to make that happen. We'd wondered if a toddler bed was right or if we should just start him on a mattress on the floor. Whether we do it in small transitions or one big one... He solved the problems for us tonight on his own, though it could very well be a fluke.

Tonight I set him down in his toddler bed (Converted crib that he has been able to climb out of since he was 14 months old). He liked it and laid there for a few minutes. We went back to our normal bed time routine, but then he pointed at the bed and said nigh-nigh. So we decided to read the bedtime stories while laying down in the bed.

We got to the last story, and I asked him if he wanted to sleep in his bed in his room tonight, and he said yes. So while I read the last book Daddy made the room ready for him to sleep in (Rocket lamp night light, baby monitor, closed the curtains). I stayed with him and helped him lay back down a couple times. Then I asked him if he wanted me to go, and he said yes.

I kissed him good night, and walked out the door, closing it behind me. He cried for maybe a minute, and has been quiet ever since.

If this lasts, it would be the easiest transition ever. It also supports my thought that kids will let you know when they are ready for the next stage. It took him a long time to sleep through the night (He was over a year before the first time it happened) but I felt like he would do it in his own time - and he did.

But I also know that toddlers change their minds about everything - so in 20 minutes he could decide that it's too scary and never want to be left in there alone again. We'll see, but it's fun while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment